Bogart Day of Champions
It’s not every day that youngsters can get sports tips from top athletes, or a chance to test their skills against them, but exactly that took place Nov. 6 at “A Day of Champions” at the Sports Museum of Los Angeles.
At the benefit for the Bogart Pediatric Cancer Research Program, guests also got autographs of the athletes and a close-up look at the private museum’s wide-ranging array of sports memorabilia. And they did so amid a host of A-list stars.
Russell Brand of “Arthur” and “Get Him to the Greek” came to present the 2011 Children’s Choice Award to Trina and Adam Venit. Adam Venit is a talent agent and head of the motion picture department at William Morris Endeavor.
During the day of activities…
* Russell Brand kicked around a soccer ball with a group of youngsters.
* Chad Michael Murray and Barry Bonds – former San Francisco Giant, named Most Valuable Player 7 times – helped youngsters hone their football skills.
* Baseball fans found 2011 All-Star Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers at the batting cage, and Casey Bond, former San Francisco Giant. at the fast pitch. Casey Bond is also in the film, “Moneyball.”
* Rasual Butler of the Chicago Bulls joined a few of the children at basketball.
* Champion heavyweight fighter Josh Barnett helped young climbers on the Velcro wall
* Award-winning freestyle motocross rider Ronnie Faisst, pro volleyball star Morgan Beck and acclaimed Funny Car race drivers Brittany Force and John Force signed autographs.
A crowd of more than 1,000 turned up for the Bogart Day of Champions, presented by Yahoo! Sports and raising more than $400,000 for the Bogart Pediatric Cancer Research Program at the Bogart Laboratories at Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles.
Craig Ross and Ross Levinsohn chaired the event. Gary Cypres, the sports museum’s founder and chief executive, graciously opened the 32,000 square-foot sports museum for the occasion, along with providing the barbeque.
In addition to Ross, Levinsohn and Cypres, the committee included Soleil Moon Frye and Jason Goldberg, Talulah and Elon Musk, Alex and AK von Furstenberg, Suzi and Richard Katman, Suzi and Richard Kaltman, Therese and Jeff Lotman, Dahlia and Joseph Merhi, Tim Bogart, Joyce Bogart Trabulus, Melissa Rivers, Allan Rudnick, Carole Bayer Sager, Richard Bondroff, Barbara Cane, Steve Canepa, Brad Cohen, Marco Cohen, Ted Cohen, Ann Colgin, Paula Doherty, Wendi Doyle, Ari Emanuel, Pam Giangregorio, Ken Paves Salon, Sara Fitzgerald, Kenneth Fuchs, Marc Geiger, John Jameson, Joe Kaczorowski, Joe Lago, Clifton Ma, Jonathan McHugh, Alan Melina, Pam Morton, Elie Samaha, David Shaheen, Michael Sherman, Jeff Smith, Gary Stiffelman, Christine Storey, Josh Trabulus, Bill Vuylsteke, Fran Walfish, Eric Wasserman, Marianne Weiman-Nelson, Patrick Whitesell, David Zedeck, Katy Sweet & Associates and Levy Pazanti & Associates.
Photos, from top: Russell Brand, center, with honorees Trina Venit and Adam Venit; Baron Davis, Gary Cypres and Matt Kemp; John Cryer, left, with Josh Trabulus and Joyce Bogart Trabulus.
All photos from the Bogart Day of Champions were taken by Vince Bucci.
IN OTHER LOS ANGELES SOCIETY NEWS:
Bogart Day of Champions
Published Nov. 30, 2011 – Society News LA